Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

What to do in a training session

 When you are training your horse you should have some sort of schedule every day such as:
  1. Warm up (long trotting) for about 10 minutes
  2. Review work, do something you have already worked on and something your horse knows, for 10 minutes.
  3. Break, let your horse stretch, blow ( exhaling gently or forcefully though their nose) and relax, for 2 minutes.
  4. New work, something your horse does not know or something that your horse is in the process of learning, for about 15 minutes.
  5. Break for 3 minutes ( have a little longer break after your horse has done harder stuff). 
  6. Review work, go back to something your horse knows very well and enjoys, for 10 minutes.
  7. Cool down ( some long trotting and walking on a loose rein) for 10 minutes.   
It is easier on the horse when you break the sessions down like this and it is very important to let your horse have a break, especially on a hot day give them some time to get a drink. A horse should feel comfortable when they are training so the sessions are more enjoyable, and the horse looks forward to training instead of hatting it and never wanting to train.

When I train my horse Lily I usually make sure she gets a drink if she wants one, then we usually go out to a field and I run with her then walk. Then lately I have been making her jump over logs and go around barrels that I have set up in the field. She is good most of the time, but sometimes she refuses to go over a certain log, I don't know why. But since it is still winter I don't do too much work with her so she does not get too cold, and on days when the weather is bad I don't work with her, but of coarse she does need a break sometimes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment